This post may contain affiliate links & I earn commission from qualifying sales. Click
for full disclosure*
Are you planning to buy a circular saw but you are wondering which one is best suited for your project needs? If this is you, we welcome you to read on for we have prepared a comprehensive review of the best circular saw for beginners which will help you purchase the right circular saw for the job.
A circular saw is a tool that is used to cut materials such as wood, plastic, or metal. In terms of power source, circular saws come in two main types, corded or cordless. Corded circular saws are powered directly from an outlet whereas cordless circular saws are battery-powered.
Here are our top five best circular saws for beginners.
DEWALT FLEXVOLT 60V MAX Circular Saw Kit, 7-1/4-Inch, (DCS578X1)
This circular saw can be used for a variety of wood cutting tasks including dimensional lumber, hardwoods, plywood, and oriented strand board (OSB). For this reason, it is used by many professionals such as framers, carpenters, and contractors.
The dimensions of this circular saw are 18 x 9 x 8.2 inches in length, width, height respectively, it is powered by a Lithium-ion battery with a voltage of 60V. It features a high-grade magnesium shoe and an efficient brushless motor that offers smooth, accurate cuts and long runtime.
It has an integrated dust blower which enables the user to have a clear line of sight while cutting. It also has an electronic brake which stops the blade after the trigger is released. It runs at a speed of 5800 RPM which means you get to do your wood cutting tasks much faster.
The circular saw has a rafter hook that allows users to conveniently hang their tools and an onboard wrench that is useful when changing blades.
The included components are as follows:
- 1 FLEXVOLT Framing Saw,
- 1 DCB609 20V/60V MAX* FLEXVOLT 9.0Ah Battery
- 1 FLEXVOT carbide tipped 7-1/2″ circular saw blade,
- 1 DCB118 20V MAX* Fan Cooled Fast Charger,
- 1 Blade wrench
- 1 User instruction manual
- 1 Contractor Bag.
- High-grade magnesium shoe
- Brushless motor
- Battery voltage of 60V
- Bevel capacity of 53° with stops at 45° and 22.5°
- Integrated dust blower
- Rafter Hook
- Speed of 5800 RPM
- 3-year Warranty
- Works fast
- Powerful motor
DEWALT 6-1/2-Inch 20V Max Circular Saw, Tool Only (DCS391B), Yellow
This battery-powered circular saw measures 8.5 x 15.5 x 10.5 inches in length, width, and height and weighs 7.1 pounds. Its motor runs at a speed of 5150 RPM making sure your tasks are completed faster and with ease.
It features a lightweight and high strength magnesium shoe for accurate cuts and durability. For your comfort, good grip, and balance the handle is made from an optimized rubber. The 0-50° bevel capacity is ideal for a variety of bevel cuts as may be required.
It also has a 6.5-Inch carbide-tipped blade for cutting 2 times material at 90° and 45°. Components included are DCS391 6.5-Inch Circular Saw and a 6-.5-Inch Carbide-tipped Blade.
- Lightweight and high strength magnesium shoe
- Bevel capacity of 0-50°
- 5Inches blade length
- Battery voltage of 20V
- Handle made from rubber for a comfortable grip
- 3-year warranty
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Comfortable grip
- Powerful motor
- Battery and Charger are sold separately
Makita 5007MGA 7-1/4″ Magnesium Circular Saw, with Electric Brake, Teal
The dimensions of this circular saw are 10.25 x 17.75 x 12 inches in length, width, and height. The circular saw is one of the best in the market as it is easy to use, durable, lightweight and powerful thanks to its magnesium components and a powerful 15AMP motor with a speed of 800 RPM.
It has an inbuilt dust blower that ensures there is a clear line of cut to achieve accurate cuts. To further improve the accuracy, the base of the circular saw has ruler markings and legible numbers. It has inbuilt L.E.D lights for better illumination and making the cut line more visible.
The saw has a large cutting capacity of 2-1/2 inches at 90° with a maximum bevel capacity of 56° and positive stops at 22.5° and 45° for quick adjustments. For maximum productivity, the saw has an electric brake which stops the blade quickly. The circular saw is ideal for framing walls, Floors, Roof, and ripping panels.
The components included in this best circular saw for beginners are:
- 7-1/4″ 24T Ultra-Coated C.T. Saw Blade (A-94530-A)
- Hex Wrench
- Rip Fence
- Tool Case
- Electric brake for maximum productivity
- Durable Magnesium components
- Corded electric power source
- Inbuilt dust blower
- Powerful 15-amp motor
- E.D Lights for increased illumination
- Large cutting capacity (2-1/2″ at 90°) with positive stops at 22.5°, 45° and 56
- Large rubberized levers for quick, one-handed adjustments
- Efficient due to its large cutting capacity
- Powerful motor
DEWALT 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw with Electric Brake, 15-Amp (DWE575SB)
This circular saw weighs 8.8 pounds only and its dimensions in length, width and height are 16.25 x 10.13 x 10.5 inches. This makes it lightweight and compact enabling you to easily move it around as you perform your cutting tasks.
The handle is ergonomically designed which means you can use the circular saw for long without straining your hands. Its powerful motor of 15 amp which runs at a speed of 5100 RPM will help you cut through tough wood within a short time and with minimum manual effort.
The circular saw features a smooth aluminum base which keeps the saw leveled. This ensures that you achieve a perfect cut. The saw has an inbuilt dust blower which ensures that a clear line of sight is maintained while cutting.
The saw is tough and durable thanks to its ToughCord system. It also has an electric brake that stops the saw blade once the trigger is released. This increases safety.
The components included are as follows:
- 7-1/4-inch circular saw
- Blade wrench
- Carbide-tipped 7-1/4-inch circular saw blade
- User instruction manual
- Contractor bag.
- Lightweight weighs 8.8 pounds
- Electric brake
- Integrated dust blower
- Powerful 15 Amp motor
- Corded power source
- 57-Degree beveling capacity with positive stops at 45-Degree and 22.5-Degree
- Accurate cuts
- Lightweight and compact
- Ergonomically designed
SKILSAW Southpaw SPT67M8-01 15 Amp 7-1/4 In. Magnesium Left Blade Sidewinder Circular Saw
This circular saw whose dimensions in length, width, and height are 12.5 x 9.75 x 9 inches is powered by a 15-amp motor that delivers 5,300 RPM. It has a Left blade sidewinder for improved blade and cut-line visibility.
The circular saw has a maximum cutting capacity of 2-7/16 inch at 90°. It also features a maximum 56° bevel capacity with a positive stop at 0° and 45°. This makes it ideal for tasks such as framing, siding, decking, ceilings and can be used with soft, hard, and engineered woods.
Below is a list of components included:
- SPT67M8-01 7-1/4 In. Left Blade Circular Saw
- 24-Tooth Saw Blade
- Blade Wrench
- Lightweight, weighs 10.6 pounds
- Powerful motor of 15 Amp
- Corded electric
- maximum cutting capacity of 2-7/16 in. at 90° and a maximum 56° bevel capacity with a positive stop at 0° and 45°.
- All magnesium construction ensuring durability
- Left blade sidewinder
Factors to Consider When Buying a Circular Saw
Now that we have reviewed different models of best circular saws for beginners, let’s discuss the factors that you should consider before getting a circular saw.
The size of the blade
The size of the circular blade is determined by its diameter. The most common size is 7 and 1/4 inches. A saw of this size can cut materials that are more than 3 inches thick.
Getting the right size of the blade will ensure the circular blade can cut through specific types of woods that you work with.
The material of the blade
The material used to make the blade determines its durability. If your work involves cutting through tough items like metal sheets, you need a blade that is made from a strong material to minimize the chances of breakages.
Cutting and depth capacity
Circular saws with a large cutting capacity are efficient. This is because they can accommodate a thicker wood. Cutting depth is also important because it enables you to cut thick materials at one go and have the task accomplished faster.
Amount of power
To achieve a good cutting capacity, you need a powerful circular saw. It is important to consider the intended use of the circular saw as this will determine how powerful it should be.
For instance, if your work involves cutting thick materials, then a powerful motor will go a long way in preventing the circular saw from getting worn out.
Many tools are potential hazards and can cause damage and injuries within seconds, the circular saw is not an exception.
Getting a circular saw with safety features which can be easily activated when there is a need to do so prevents cutting something else other than the intended material. One such feature is an electric brake which stops the blade immediately after the trigger is released.
As is the case with other purchases, one important question to ask yourself is, how much you are willing and able to spend on the best circular saw for beginners? You can review the different models of the circular saw and settle on the one that fits within your budget.
Caution should however be exercised to ensure that you do not compromise the quality of the saw and your safety by choosing to buy a cheaper saw.
Best Circular Saw for Beginners Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best circular saw for home use?
Out top pick for the best circular saw for home use is:
- DEWALT 6-1/2-Inch 20V Max Circular Saw, Tool Only (DCS391B), Yellow
- DEWALT 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw with Electric Brake, 15-Amp (DWE575SB)
- Makita 5007MGA 7-1/4″ Magnesium Circular Saw, with Electric Brake, Teal
How do you use a circular saw for beginners?
If you are a beginner, using a circular saw can seem like a hard tackle. The good news is, it isn’t. The following simple steps will help you get started on your wood or metal works using a circular saw.
- Take time to familiarize yourself with all the parts of the circular saw and how they operate.
- Wear protective gear such as eye protection and work gloves. Eye protection will prevent the sawdust from getting into your eyes and making you uncomfortable. If you are going to use the circular saw for long, you can consider having ear protection.
- Take the measurements of the material you intend to cut, for instance, wood, and mark the cut line.
- Place the wood firmly in your working surface or station.
- Set the depth and the bevel angle using the depth adjustment lever and the bevel adjustment lever.
- Place the circular saw on the wood, ensure the base plate stays flat on the wood, then cut through the wood ensuring you follow the cut line. It is recommended to have your circular saw already powered up before running it through the wood.
- Let the saw cut the wood slowly and steadily. Avoid pushing the saw forward.
- Once you are done cutting, stop the blade by releasing the trigger.
Safety tips when using a circular saw
- If you are using a corded circular saw, secure the cord to avoid cutting it accidentally.
- If you have long hair, have it tied back.
- Avoid having loose clothing that may get in the way.
- Avoid having your hands close to the blade.
- If you veer off from the cut line, do not attempt to reposition the blade back to the cut line while it is still running. Stop the blade first and reposition the blade.
What should I look for when buying a circular saw?
Some of the things you should look for when buying a circular saw are; how powerful the circular saw is, the presence of safety features, the size and material of the blade, cutting and depth capacity, and, cost of the circular saw.
Is it easy to use a circular saw?
Yes. By taking the necessary precautions and following the manufacturers’ guidelines, circular saws are easy to use and operate.
We hope this circular saw review article will provide you with the right information to help you choose the best circular saw for beginners. The best circular saw or choice should be the one which is not only affordable/durable but ideal for the intended use.
Hi, I’m Steve K. the founder of FancyGardening. A versatile freelancer with a great passion and experience in Gardening and Landscaping, sharing valuable tips on modern gardening practices, product reviews and latest Innovations.